Who can be admitted to the school?
Here are the criteria:
1. Year 0-13 students with high health needs identified by a qualified medical practitioner specialising in the condition and who are undergoing:
- an active treatment programme for their medical condition
- or a health funded mental health programme
2. also students must be: (at least one of these)
- in hospital and /or recuperating or rehabilitating for more than 10 school days
- likely to have [or had] six hospital admissions in a 12 month period
- absent from school for more than 40 school days in any one school year
Student admissions to Southern Health School
How do I seek admission for my child?
1. Get a copy of your child's attendance record for this year from their school
2. Download the following forms:
- Application for Admission PDF or Word Doc
- Verification of Medical Condition PDF or Word Doc
- Home Visit Form
- Student Internet responsible use agreement
- Community Classroom Form
- Ask the students regular school for an absence printout.
3. Complete each form and make sure it is signed as appropriate
Incomplete applications cannot be processed so please ensure that all of the above documents are sent together.
4. Post all these completed forms and the attendance record to us
Southern Health School
2 Halswell Road
PO Box 1757
Or fax: 03 374 6503
If your child does not have a regular school
The Ministry of Education will consider whether to approve a Section 9 Agreement with you for special education. If it is required a copy of the Section 9 Agreement may be obtained from us or from the Ministry of Education. We will forward the completed form to the Ministry if we consider the above criteria are met.
Follow the 4 steps above and include the completed Section 9 Agreement (To access this form "right click" and "save link/target as")